Name:
Location: Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany

I'm a sort of creative person, seeking the meaning of life . Hard to capture the essence of the mind/brain/soul - but I delight in arguing with ultra-materialists on consciousness. Ah! the smell of a rose and its redness, the smell of a fine wine, a sunset, - great stuff, and all subjective. Oh yeah and actually am Scorpio by 4 hours according to expert astrologer friend - blogger auto-star-sign system missed the fact that I'm on the cusp. Though I agree with Casius when he said "the fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves, that we are underlings".

Friday, March 11, 2005

Numb - part II

Grooannnn - drug is wearing off - funny feeling of lethargy or sluggishness in wake of the anaesthetic wearing off. Jingling nerves - are we no more than the play of the neurones as Bublath, the presenter who mouths orthodoxy in this as in all things, maintained a few nights ago on German TV? Not at all! That pap may fool the hoi-poloi but it won't wash with us of the consciousness cognoscenti. Curious that a supposedly cleverly constructed documentary like that gets off scot free with never mentioning the subjective. I found myself shouting at Joachim to cease his interminable whining, but he just waffled on, secure in his one way filter of TV.

On my favourite books,
Dune I read when I was about 16 and loved Pardot Kynes and Arrakis - but cooled a bit at God-Emperor of Dune - I mean, an omnipotent guy thinking of what he'll do today is a bit boring. But up to then it had an ineffably fine atmosphere. I'm struggling with Ian's Quicksilver now - was interesting but palled after 600 pages - 300 to go.
He could have made it more concise. Also, reading Bergson's book 'Creative Evolution', I realise how relevant it is still after 100 years - his struggle between instinct and intelligence was relevant to 3-Sat's Delta last night, but also to bumbling Bublath's take on the brain -
the latter was reeling chapter and verse of the standard unthinking person's guide to neuroscience - without reference to subjectivity or humunculi.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home