Name:
Location: Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany

I'm a sort of creative person, seeking the meaning of life . Hard to capture the essence of the mind/brain/soul - but I delight in arguing with ultra-materialists on consciousness. Ah! the smell of a rose and its redness, the smell of a fine wine, a sunset, - great stuff, and all subjective. Oh yeah and actually am Scorpio by 4 hours according to expert astrologer friend - blogger auto-star-sign system missed the fact that I'm on the cusp. Though I agree with Casius when he said "the fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves, that we are underlings".

Sunday, April 03, 2005

Tribute to John Paul II

Before going down to fix the slow puncture on my bike, let me add my praise to the great pontiff who has just passed away, Karol W. As I lived for nearly a year in Poland in the late 80's, I was fully aware of how highly he was thought of in his native country. When he visited Ireland in 1979 I was in the Phoenix park with the rest of 'em, one million people, cheering on the pope-mobile. Johndee had woken brother M by throwing stones at his window in the dark of early morn as we had to catch the early special bus to the park. 9 years later M and I would be in a mass audience with the pontiff, although we didn't always agree with his conservative policies on birth control, women priensts etc., where I told M how to say hello in Polish. M, ever more extravert than yours truly, got up above the heads of the masses and just as JP was going passed called out 'Djen Dobry!' and sure enough the Pope stopped and turned to the beaming face of my incorrigible brother to shake his hand. I am in The Osservatore Romano photo too, in a bit role as the mastermind behind the shake, still sporting Walensa moustache. Sic transit gloria Mundi!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home